John Mason Chair. Visitors Don Kerley RC Glen Waverly and Ken Rowe RC Frankston Guest speaker on Membership. plus Gabrielle Evans.
Pres Greg provided Bard update, noted après by John Mason and filling of International Chair vacancy by Linda O’Brien following the Board resignation by Lisa. Noted Bentleigh Station BBQ on November 12 in the Nicholson Street Carpark. Also asked if members who were interested in purchasing Mangoes to let him know by next meeting.
Don Kerley raised On To Conference in Geelong next Marc/April (April first no joke!). Terrific speaking program and dinner festivities with cost of $325. See Rotary 9810 be site for details to help RI achieve ts Building Connections & Realising Dreams theme.
Ken Rowe (RC Frankston) provided a detailed program of how Frankston increased its membership. Ken an Ex Melbourne Footy Club player and Principle at Frankston High is Districts exchange program coordinator and responsible for the Soweto exchanges ur Club supports with Bentleigh & Mentone College’s.
Key lessens in building Membership included:
* Form committee of KEY PEOPLE in the Club to drive it
* target TEN new members per year
* Provide strong decisive LEADERSHIP
* Use international programs and good speakers to create interest
* Use in short term ALTRUISTIC PROJECTS so members can engage – members like to help good causes
* Social (fellowship) program and events provide the GLUE for membership, more difficult for breakfast Clubs so try and mix these up with a few evening meetings – social interaction is key – partners nights
* be friendly and welcoming. Basic things that get forgotten
* takes a year for new members to ‘bed in’ so be patient and empathetic to their needs
* RC Frankston has a first year of FREE membership and targets leaders
* Members have got to ASK and INVITE potential Rotarians
* Use fireside chats, BBQ drinks at Rotary programs & projects
New members will REFRESH the Club and help with RETENTION
Good constructive advice from Ken who gave of is time generously. Thanks Again Ken
SGt Session: Fines and stories from our illustrious and verbose Sgt Tim. Fines for fancy dressers, Grant, Ken, Ron & Geoff for political campaigning pictures (‘visual pollution’) and a racing fine on Tony .
General: Jo noted $5k + raised at Riding for the Disabled dinner – great effort Jo
Report provided by Chris Mara